On Monday, UEFA chief, Michel Platini acknowledged he had no written contract for a $2.0m payment from FIFA President Sepp Blatter as his chances of replacing the Swiss veteran as head of the world body plunged ahead of a key FIFA council meeting in Zurich on Tuesday, AFP reports.
Since he was handed a 90-day suspension from all football-related activities by FIFA, the former star player for France and Juventus told Le Monde in his first interview that, although he had nothing in writing, he had made a “man-to-man” agreement with Blatter over the contested remuneration.
Platini stated that, as he understood it, under Swiss law “an oral contract is worth a written contract”. FIFA is based in Zurich and is subject to Swiss law.
Blatter, currently serving a 90-day suspension amid a huge corruption scandal engulfing the game, said last week that the payment made to Platini in 2011 for consultancy work carried out years previously, was “a gentleman’s agreement”.
Platini told Le Monde he felt Blatter was seeking to kill him politically over the payment which looks to have doomed any chance of his succeeding him.
He had been seen as preferred to take over in February until he was named in a Swiss criminal investigation into Blatter’s management of FIFA.
“It was a contract I had with Platini; a gentleman’s agreement,” said the 79-year-old Blatter in an interview with Swiss media RROTV.